HomeBreweryMarston’s and Carlsberg UK announce £780m merger
Marston’s and Carlsberg UK announce £780m merger
May 26, 2020
Marston’s is the third national cask brewer to take over by a multinational corporation in barely a year, each time at a discount due to uncertainty in the British economy.
In January 2019, Asahi bought Fuller’s brewing business for £250 million, while Hong Kong property firm CKA paid £2.7 billion for Greene King’s brewing arm and pub estate in August. Brexit has suppressed the pound since the UK. voted itself out of the EU in June 2016, effectively making these real estate transactions more attractive to foreign investors than ever. Combined with the share price drop from COVID-19, this merger shows Carlsberg getting the best deal of the lot.
For Carlsberg the benefits are clear: with competition for taplines bound to intensify as potentially thousands of pubs are either unable to open or close for good after COVID-19, having another 1,600 pubs tied into a supply deal will keep Carlsberg brands growing.
The merger will offer Carlsberg brands access to Marston’s 1,600 pubs and will be a relief to the debt-stricken Marston’s, which owes £1.39 billion to creditors. However, it casts doubt on the future of the 11 other breweries and brands it owns, including the 50,000-hectoliter (43,000-barrel) Wychwood Brewery—home of Hobgoblin—and much-loved regional brands like Jennings Brewery and Ringwood Brewery.
Marston’s’ pub business is not part of the deal, but written into the agreement is the guarantee of a supply arrangement for Carlsberg brands. The merger creates the new Carlsberg Marston’s Brewing Company, 60% of which is owned by Carlsberg UK, with Marston’s receiving the remaining 40%. Marston’s also receives £273 million in cash, which places the value of the brewing side of its business at £580 million.
To provide the best experiences at 24x7 Business News website, we may use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behaviour or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.